While our Jeep® service technicians are always here to help you keep your Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Cherokee in great condition because it’s always good to be prepared. For instance, if you ever find yourself with a dead battery, it might be easier to find a friend and jump start your SUV rather than waiting for roadside assistance.
How to Jump Start Your Jeep SUV
Jump starting your Jeep SUV means using the power from another vehicle or an emergency jump starter to give your battery enough juice to get you up and running.
So how do you do that?
- Make sure your vehicle is parked and off, and that the other vehicle (if that’s your power source) is very close but not touching, and also turned off.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries.
- Attach a red clip of the jumper cables to your battery’s positive terminal.
- This should be marked with a POS or a “+” symbol.
- Attach the second red clip to the positive terminal of the other battery or the portable jump starter.
- Attach a black clip to the negative terminal of the power source battery.
- Attach the second black clip to an unpainted metal part of your vehicle that isn’t close to your battery – the rod holding the hood up might be good for this.
- First start the power source vehicle or turn on the portable jump starter. Wait a couple of minutes.
- Start your vehicle – it should turn on this time!
- If it doesn’t turn on, turn everything back off, check the connections, then have the power source vehicle start again and let it run for at least five minutes before you try again.
Jeep Service near Hickory, NC
To make sure that you won’t find yourself in the same circumstance tomorrow morning, head over to the service center at our Jeep dealership. Hickory, NC drivers can get expert care for their vehicle at John Greene Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM.