It takes a lot to keep a Jeep® vehicle, so when it comes to Jeep parts there can be a lot to learn. Today we’ve put together a primer on a key part of your Jeep SUV – the transmission.
What is the transmission? And what role does it play in keeping your Jeep vehicle running?
What does a Transmission do?
You can think of the transmission as your gear box – the mechanism that helps regulate your power and use it to keep your engine running. In fact, the transmission uses gears to do this!
Why is a Transmission Important?
Without a transmission, your Jeep SUV would have so much power going to the engine at any given time that it would be hard to start, stop, or even drive slowly.
What are the Parts of a Transmission?
A transmission is made up of several parts:
- Gears: Control how much power goes to your engine.
- Fluid: Keeps things running smoothly.
- Filter: Keeps contaminants from getting into your gears and fluid.
How do I know if something is wrong with my transmission?
This is an important question, because without a working transmission you won’t be getting very far. Here are some warning signs to look out for:
- Bad smells: Pay attention to any unusual smells, but especially a burning smell.
- Clunking or whining sounds: Especially if you hear a clunk when the gears shift, get your car looked at ASAP.
- Inability to get into gear: This probably goes without saying, but if your vehicle won’t get into gear, your transmission probably needs help!
Transmission Service near Hickory, NC
The transmission is a critical part of any Jeep model, and you want to make sure yours is in good shape. We can help with that at your home for Jeep service. Hickory, NC drivers can visit our John Greene Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM service center to learn more about their transmission and make sure it’s ready to keep them on the road.